There have been several priests in the Biega families, Bill's great-uncle Henryk Marian , among others. This article features Father Jan, who was the parish priest of Stojańce, near Sądowa Wiśnia where he died in 1908 and where he is buried.
Not much is known about Father Jan Biega. He was the son of Stanisław Biega. It is not certain but he is probably the Jan noted under ref #140 in the tabulation of births in Dębna. In 1867 he became the vicar at the church in Zagórz. near Sanok. From 1869 to 1876 he was the parish priest there. Then in 1876 he became parish priest in Stojańce, a village close to Sądowa Wisznia ( now Sudowa Vyshnya in Ukrainian), halfway between Przemyśl and Lwów (now Lviv). He enlarged the small 18th. century village church to its present size. He died 30 September 1908 and is buried in the cemetery.
A small village about 5km south-west of Sądowa Wisznia. Population about 200, virtually all Polish residents were resettled during the Soviet occupation. The present population is mostly Ukrainian. The Roman-Catholic church of Our Lady of Holy Scapular was devastated during the Soviet occupation, being used for storing farm machinery. The venerated picture of the Holy Mother that was behind the altar (seen in this 1925 photo) was rescued and is now in the church at Powidzko, north of Wrocław in Silesia. By the efforts of Poles from the vicinity, mostly from Sudowa Vyshnya, the interior has been partly restored. Mass is celebrated on an irregular basis by priests from area towns.
Thanks to Roman Wojcicki from Sądowna Wisznia for information and photos.