Bill Biega's
Click on any illustration with colored border to see it full size. Then click on "Back" button to return to this page.

Sanok is a county town in the south-eastern tip of Poland. It lies on the river San, near its source in the Bieszczady range of the Carpathian Mountains. It was granted a city charter by King Kazimierz the Great in 1366. Little remains from these early days. After falling into decline in the 18thC. as a result of wars and disastrous fires, it began to develop again in the second half of 19thC. after arrival of the railroad. Most families with the name Biega have their roots in Sanok and neighboring villages, see the Biega family page.
See also the Sanok city web site, in English and Polish. The village of Mrzygłód also has a web page, but only in Polish. However there are many interesting photos.

To find out how to get there, go to Sanok by bus.

Tour southern Poland
See more about Sanok.
More travel photos.

Support this Web Site.
by shopping for great bargains at:
In Association with

Now also apparel, electronics, other!

The river San runs between the foothills of the Carpathian range. The older part of the town is situated on a hill.
See Note
The oldest buildings are the Castle, originally built in 1514 by king Zygmunt I for his wife Bona; and the Franciscan Church and monastery, originally built in the 17thC. See Note
It is a pleasant town with clean, flower filled streets. Here is the Town Hall on the Rynek (Market Square), and one of the older (100 year old) commercial buildings, called the Ramerówka.
See Note
Sanok has a long cultural history. Grzegorz of Sanok was a well known poet of the 15thC. Here's his statue by the Public Library. The renovated Castle houses hundreds of priceless Icons collected from old Orthodozx and Uniate churches in the surrounding country.
See Note

See Note
Many examples of old wooden churches, inns and homes have been brought from the original villages and collected in the large wooded Ethnographic Park Skansen on the other side of the river.
In the villages of Dębna and Mrzygłód, a few miles down the valley, you may find many families with the name Biega, living under the protection of the storks.
Mrzygłód was a town founded in early 15c. by King Jagiełło, but later was eclipsed by Sanok and declined to its present state. The church, originally built by prisoners taken at the Battle of Grunwald in 1410, is barely visible, hidden by trees and houses. A monument of the king commemorates the past.

Return to Top of page.
Return to Table of Contents for other Photo Galleries.
Also see Sanok Official Web Site and
Sanok Ethnographic Park.

Return to Home Page.
Copyright © 2002 B. C. Biega. All rights reserved.
NOTE. Indicated photos courtesy, all rights reserved.

Last update May, 2007