Central & Eastern Europe History
Bibliography and Links
Syrena history articles summarize important events to answer important questions and to provide an interesting overview. Some of you want more detail. These links provide detailed information selected by Syrena staff from reliable sources, arranged alphabetically.
- History of the Albanian People
- Baltic peoples.
- Constantinople Sacked by the Crusaders.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina history and ethnic origins.
- Bulgaria, History
- Communism rules Eastern Europe 1945-1990.
- Congress of Vienna creates a new Europe - 1815
- Crimean War and its consequences for the Balkans, 1856 Treaty of Paris
- Croatia, history.
- Cyril and Methodius, developers of the Cyryllic alphabet
- Czech nation, history of Bohemia and Moravia.
- European Union, its history 1945 till present.
- the Habsburgs, rulers of the Austrian Empire.
- Halicz Princes in 12th and 13th centuries.
- Review of Hungarian history with links.
- Illyrians - the original west-Balkan people lived in what is now Croatia.
- Lithuania History
- Macedonia History
- Ottoman Empire ruled the Balkans (and much of the Middle East) from the 15th to the 19th century.
- A concise history of Poland
- Poland - excellent detailed history in 14 parts.
- Kalisz Statute grants freedom to Jews.
- Poland in World War II - index to detailed documents.
- The Warsaw Uprising Museum
- History of Romania, illustrated
- Serbia, history.
- Slavs, their origin and history.
- Thracians, the original east Balkan people lived in what is now Bulgaria and Romania.
- Pres. Wilson's 14 Points for Europe after World War I.
- WW I - Peace Treaties - Versailles,
- World War II in Europe
- Ukrainian history - A series of articles.
- Yugoslavia - Brief History - with links.
- Rising '44: The Battle for Warsaw by Norman Davies. This (published May 2004) is the first book in English that provides the complete story of the Polish Uprising in 1944 against the German occupier, and its betrayal by the Soviets - with many photos and maps.
- Europe - A History. by Norman Davies. The only European history book that provides full coverage to the role played by the nations of Eastern Europe. If you want to buy only one history of Europe, this is the one.
- The Coasts of Bohemia. by Derek Sayer. This is an excellent book for anyone interested in Czech history and culture.
- Ancient Gold : The Wealth of the Thracians. by Ivan Marazov (Editor), et al. A gorgeously illustrated book that captures the unique culture of Thrace
Unfortunately the addresses of articles on the Internet change frequently, particularly those related to Eastern Europe. If a link is broken, please let me
know, so that I can find a new link.
Return to top of page.
Return to History articles.
Go to travel articles
Return to Home page.